One woman's search for everything across Italy, India, and Indonesia.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Dante's "Divine Comedy"

I was just making sure that everyone noticed to reference to Dante's "Divine Comedy" on page 45, because I thought it was pretty cool that we had been talking about that in class and now it shows up in our book. I loved the information about how the language in his poem was the basis for the final national Italian language. How amazing is it that one poet could actually have to power to affect the future of an entire country, more than just by the people's interpretations of his poem, but by the actual language of the poem. I thought that was a really good description of the Italian emphasis on beauty. All of the Italian people managed to get together and agree that they would all speak this language, not because it was the easiest or the most popular of the dialects, but because it was the most beautiful-sounding of them all.  Seemed like a pretty amazing thing to me.

1 comment:

  1. I thought that was really interesting, and I was really happy that I understood one of the things in the book she's been reffering to. And I thought it was cool how the last line of his poem is "the love that moves the sun and other stars" when reffering to God, because before she was talking about all of the various names for God, and that one is the best.

    ReplyDelete