One woman's search for everything across Italy, India, and Indonesia.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Old People

I think one of the things I like most about this book is the description of Jacob as an old man. As a society we act very condescendingly towards old men, and I think the fact that we read so much about him when he was young helps us from feeling that way about him. I also think the way he describes the aging process is very interesting. At the beginning of Chapter One, he starts by saying "I am ninety. Or ninety-three. One or the other" (5).  Then he talks about how your view of your age changes throughout your life, until finally it just doesn't really matter anymore. 


When he talks about his meals and about how much he misses eating real food, its almost depressing. He's a ninety-year-old man. He's had a full, long life, and he still have enough energy and teeth to really want a good steak or something. Shouldn't he be able to have that? Really, who are all of these people to tell him what he can or can't eat? I'm kind of disappointed in his children for putting him in this dump. I know they have lives and can't be taking care of their father all of the time, but I wish they could've at least done something about this... maybe put him in a better home? 


That's why I really like Rosemary. On page 105, when Jacob complains about no one ever asking him what he wants, she actually listens to him and asks him simple questions instead of just writing him off as a cranky old man and doing things her way. How do you guys feel? Did these descriptions give you a newfound appreciation for old farts?

No comments:

Post a Comment